Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 2: More to learn!

Day two was busier than the first and I cant remember how many nurses have come. Word has spread about the course and we found even nurses who were on duty taking short leave to attend the course. The highlights for today.

  • Could not keep track of nurses count today...
Some came off duty...
    Some even took short leave!
    • I had to demo the system for my Managing Director who is also the secretary for the Association of Private Hospitals & Nursing Homes. It was a pleasant visit and he seemed to think this PBL lesson method would serve training nursing assitants well. 
    Demo for Secretary, APHNH
    • A lot of interesting things to note about the human computer interaction
    1. User had a tendency to search for the lesson link near the help center / shortcut area.
    2. Clear color differentiation in the flash lesson helped these learner as I did not find any with a problem using the lesson after having gone through the available audio help.
    3. The help section could have done with audio as nurses tried to 'listen' to the help which was in visual form. Perhaps this generation is used to hearing instruction.
    4. I felt the help section needs to be very comprehensive for a online session with 'no' technician. I dont think with this level of learner it will be possible to hold classes without any technical help.
    5. Exploratory learning of the students were there but they needed to be coaxed into pressing buttons as if something wrong would happen if they did. I dont think this will be a problem with a more advanced learner.
    6. The fact that a Sinhalese dictionary was linked to the lesson was a thoroughly used by the students from my observation.
    7. Chat function was met with enthusiasm by the students but I felt they were hesitant to type wrong English due to their language difficulties and thus chats were short.
    8. Exam area was handled well by most students with a few hiccups here and there. The fact that I had put a time challenge was not well understood although the instructions were given.
    9. Not only were all students taught to log in but they were taught to be polite and safe and log out as well. A bit of netiquette!
    • My technician and I caught 3 minor errors in the LMS and corrected them.
    • On a more comical note I had a nurse who came away from her private feedback form answering area and asked if she should put 8 for everything! I laughed and sent her back and told her that pass or fail the data would always be good and useful.
    So although still not finished day 2 is also looking decent.

    Slow and steady...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment