Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Project Charter Roughly Done!

I completed what I felt was the basics of my project charter. Although there is no point in posting the whole charter here I used the following framework in placing the information in the charter:

CONTENT

1 Introduction (introduction to the topic)
1.1 Sponsor: Western Infirmary (my sponsor)
1.2 About Private Medical Services Regulatory Council (important players)

2 The existing nursing refresher course (introduce the existing system)
2.1 Analysis of the current method (how did it run)
2.2 Business case: Problems with the current method (what were the problems)

3 Proposed System (how i plan to introduce a new system to solve the old problems)
3.1 Introduction (introduction to the system)
3.1.1 Objectives (measurable, specific, actionable, realistic, doable things e.g. Increase nurse participation in the course to 75%)
3.1.2 Scope (what i am actually going to do e.g. setup an access point for nurses to login to the course)
3.2 Project organisation (who is my team to develop this project)
3.3 Resource requirements (not only what were the resources but why we chose them)
3.3.1 Human resources (can be advisors, administrators or subordinates)
3.3.2 Material resources 
3.3.2.1 Hardware (servers, computers etc.)
3.3.2.2 Software (learning management system, Image editing software etc.)
3.3.3 Budget (how much will all the resources cost me in REAL money not virtual rupees)
3.4 Risk analysis (what are the problems that can occur from the organization, product or even the business environment)
3.4.1 What are the risks (list them out even if they dont come inside the purview of the above points)
3.4.2 Mitigation plan (your plan B for the what you will do to bypass the risks)
3.5 Work breakdown (very important to think about this. how will you break down your work into pragmatic parts?)
3.5.1 Activities (once you break down the work you get your activities. e.g. List the requirements of the software)
3.5.2 Deliverables (once an activity is finished you get your deliverable e.g. SRS or Software Requirement Specification)
3.6 Project schedule (how you plan to do all these activities there are many method to represent this. I used Excel to illustrate this)
3.7 Monitoring mechanism (how will your supervisor(s) monitor you throughout the project)

4 Parameters of measurement of success (what tool(s) will you use to show your systems performance against the older method/system. I intend to use a feedback form for the old and new students)

5 References

6 Illustrations (here I am sorely lacking. In order to do a good presentation you should have very simplistic diagrams in near lay terms so anybody can understand your charter)

I am not very confident of it. I have asked a few faculty members to help so lets see what comes out of that. At the moment only my Dad has some time for me! Without a doubt writing what you already plan to do is vital isn't it? You get more logical and sequential in what you plan to do and indeed what you cannot do!

Either way, I aint submitting till 30.9.10 @ 11pm.

Alhamdulillah.

1 comment:

  1. Finally my father came to the rescue and was willing to go through this student's charter. He seemed to think it was presented well and was realistic inside the time frame. So finally I have some feedback. I would not have minded +ve or -ve feedback but +ve is always nice!

    ReplyDelete