Sunday, September 19, 2010

Delayed Blogs, Internet & Projects

Buddhist Statue in Hyderabad in the middle of a lake no less!

I realise it has been some time since I posted anything to the blog and the reason is I have been having some internet connection issues in Hyderabad. First of all let me summarise the happenings of the past week:

  • Met Dr Gomina last week to discuss my project and literature review:
    • I explained to Dr Gominda about what is happening currently
      • Target now is to make a LMS to regularize 10+ years experienced nurses for registration (about 6000 nurses in Sri Lanka)
      • I explained my experiences as a past co-ordinator of the existing face-face system
        • Time is limited
        • Syllabus cannot be covered
        • Students are of different levels so giving the right lecture 'pitch' is difficult
    • Dr Gominda's suggestions:
      • A project based on the idea of "Can a part time face-face nursing course for private sector nurses in Sri Lanka be converted to an online course" is a good one and potentially marketable
      • There should be apart from the text and multimedia content some sort of formative evaluation before going to the next lesson to make the student interact more and justify an online system
      • A pilot project must envisaged.
      • Systematic Literature Review
        • Is a time consuming process
        • Search for "online nursing course" for PubMed revealed about 700 results
        • A systematic review will involve reviewing all the relevant articles ~300+
        • Should take 2 months
    • Called Prof Jayantha
      • Not really a systematic literature review
      • More of a literature survey with review of good cited articles
      • I shall inform through official channels after eHealth
As of today 18.9.10 I hope to get a more stable route to the network and resume blogging but I have a few pitfalls.

  • HINARI is non-functional
  • Then do I just take articles from here and there and write a review
  • First I suppose I better finish my project charter which I hope will be simpler. Even for that I need a stable connection.
  • An extension would be nice!
Hyderabad is nice city with a rich history! I hope to post daily come hell or highwater so please keep tabs on my blog. I shall email as well!

Rikaz

http://rikazbmiproject.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. try MEDLINE first
    initially you can read all related articles (about 100 latest and credible) at abstract levels
    HINARI is given free at University network
    goodluck
    Prof Jayantha Weerasinghe

    ReplyDelete